Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Tawanda's Tuesday Tunes and Tirades-

Like my alliteration? I do.

Tuesdays are my designated day for bitching. So here goes...


The Tiger Transit here at Auburn University is probably my # 1 complaint when it comes to school. There are various and sundry reasons as to why this service has become the bane of my college existence, but I'd like to rant about today's kerfuffle. Let me set up the scenario for you.

I awake at 6:40am. Today I am determined to go to class in more than cut-off shorts and a tank top with no make up and ugly hair. I eat a nutri-grain bar for breakfast, curled my hair, got ready and watched the news. I'm feeling very put together this morning. Ready to face a day filled with studying and errand running. It's 7:30. I walk out my door and arrive at the transit stop at 7:35. I wait...

and wait...

and wait...

smoke a cigarette....

and wait....

At 7:48 I begin to panic. Class starts in exactly 12 minutes. The ride alone takes any where from 8 -10 minutes depending on whose driving that day. At 7:55, after 20 minutes of waiting, the transit pulls slooooooowly into the Garden District, and of course, it's my least favorite driver, John Leavelle. (He's notoriously slow. If the speed limit is 35mph, he's going 20, maybe.)  We pull out of my complex at 7:59. Being on time isn't going to happen. But there's still hope that my professor will chat with the class for a few minutes and I won't miss anything. If this damn bus driver will just hurry UP! It's 8:02.

Shit.

Let's just say he went slightly slower than a glacial pace. Pangea could have reformed in the amount of time he took.  Ok that's a slight exaggeration. But I was still 7 minutes late, and had to battle a row of students to reach my assigned seat (which of course created a huge distraction). Awesome.

Whatever, my teacher was cool about it. But it's the fact of the matter. I understand it's summer and so there are fewer buses running. Conserve and all that jazz. I just don't feel that there is any reason for someone to have to wait 20 minutes just for the bus to arrive. Not to mention another 10-12 minutes riding. A drive that would take about 2.5 minutes takes a whopping 30+ minutes. Absolutely ridiculous. I'm aware I could drive, and then I could just depend on myself to get there and the bus drivers wouldn't have to deal with my huffing & puffing. I could do this, but why on earth should I? If Auburn is going to offer a service I think I'm well within my rights to demand promptness and dependability. It's not like I got to the stop 5 minutes before class and was pissed I was late. It was a 30 minute long adventure.

So I've started a subtle campaign against the transit service. I refuse to say thank you when I get off the bus. Even if they say have a good day ( Unless it's that Omar guy, bc he is genuinely nice and likes to drive fast).  This sounds really mean, but I don't care. My tuition is paying for the stupid transit, why should I say thank you to people who are getting paid to be slow and annoying?

I'm aware all of this sounds harsh. Im only being serious about 75% or so of what I just wrote.

Anyway, on to...

 Tawanda's Tuesday Tunes--

1. "When Doves Cry"- Quindon Tarver 


The song is from "Romeo & Juliet" and I absolutely love it. I'm not kidding I get ready to this and sing with the hairbrush as a microphone. I also pretend I'm black and can do this with my voice. 


2. "All I Can Do Is Write About It" - Lynyrd Skynyrd


I really don't know what it is about this song. I typically get vaguely nauseated at overtly southern things. But there's something about this song that makes me want to go for a ride with all the windows down and the volume cranked up.

3. "For Emma, Forever Ago" - Bon Iver




I put two versions up. The first is the studio version, the second is an a capella version. I originally listened to this song because of its name ( If you haven't made the connection "Emma" is my sister's name as well). I came across this video forever ago, and have been in love ever since. I personally like the a capella version best.

Anyway, happy listening! Hope I didn't bore you to tears. Now, I've done far too much procrastinating. Time to study study study!

No comments:

Post a Comment